Monday, July 21, 2008

Role Confusion


I just watched the first 8 episodes of "Mad Men"on AMC's free-zone. It takes place in the late fifties and early sixties. Wow, it is mind blowing to realize how far we have grown socially in my short lifetime. Woman's place was either married and in the home or single and sexually harassed at the office. No wonder it has taken us so long to shake the Cinderella syndrome nor is it surprising that men are often confused. Change has come so slowly that it has falsely appeared imperceivable. I highly recommend viewing this series as a history lesson or as a magnified peek at exactly how far our respective roles have transformed. I promise that if not entertaining it will at least provide a giant grateful sigh of relief. For me this has shed a huge light on our emerging generations. Young boys and girls, I envy you, your freedom. The good news is that we are headed in the right direction toward tolerance and acceptance and away from our stereotypical past.

No comments: