Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Dog That Would Be Cat


Two years ago I rescued a two year old Siberian Husky. I named her Princess Di because she was blond , blue eyed and regal. She was very much like an untamed wolf; jumped on all the furniture, would not come when called and if given the opportunity would dart out at lightning speed disappearing to unknown adventures for at least eight hours, then limp into a store with bloody pads on her feet so some stranger could read her name tag and call me, usually at 3 in the morning. Huskies are insane addicted runners looking for a sled to pull.

Princess is also the pickiest eater I have ever encountered, eating only meat or cheese. She will only sniff a cheese twist and turn away as if to say, "Processed food, you can't be serious." Keep in mind that dogs lick their own butts so how bad could a cheese twist taste or smell?

She is extremely independent, (I am used to Golden Retrievers) more like a cat than a dog, not the needy type at all. After two years of intensive training she will come if you call "cheese!" or if she thinks it is time for her beloved walk and finally stays off the furniture. (thanks to a motion detecting alarm I purchased off the internet)

She has a small family of stuffed toys consisting of a Dalmatian, teddy bear and bunny, which she constantly spreads throughout the house. She doesn't bark in the traditional sense, instead she communicates in her unique whelping human like demand reminding me that it is time for her walk and that I should get up off my fat ass and take her right now.

Princess is definitely the strangest dog I have ever owned but I wouldn't trade her for the world. She is after all a part of our family.

3 comments:

what's her bucket said...

She's lucky to have you Mom. If anything she taught us not to panic when a dog runs away. You forgot to mention she is the shed monster. Shedding far more hair than a golden retriever ever could, which is unbelievable.

Mark said...

Here by accident. Grandkids, dogs, Obama. You might be interested in my blog. Jack

Suddenly Sixty said...

the other problem with a finicky dog is that she fails to pick up all of the popcorn,type scraps in the family room and under the kitchen table.